in Aroostook County,
is Maine's northernmost town. Home to native Micmac people, it was also settled
in the 1750's by Acadian exiles.
The town was named for the river
whose Indian name has been interpreted to mean "having its outlet among the
reeds" and "worn out grass (land)."
A monument with a large cross marks the landing of the Acadians. Several
small stones, in front of recently planted trees, commemorate individual
ancestors who were among the early arrivals.
Monument marking the landing site of the Acadians, with a memorial stone
By 1787 a chapel
reportedly held services in Madawaska and fifty-two settlers were given deeds to
homesteads in 1790. In 1817 several U.S. citizens settled near the
confluence of the Meruimticook River (Baker Brook) and the St. John River, and
one of this group was granted 100 acres of land in 1825.
It was incorporated on
March 15, 1831 as a huge town covering millions of acres of Maine and Canadian
territory with the intent of asserting the State's rights to the region.
Sovereignty over the area remained in dispute since after the American
Revolution, finally being resolved by the Webster-Ashburton Treaty in 1842.
Madawaska's Main Street, and the street to Edmunston
Maine Street is U.S. Route 1. It's economy is dominated by the Fraser
Paper Company, whose plant straddles the border with Edmunston, New
Brunswick. The international border crossing is, as a result, a busy one.
National Register of Historic
Places - Listings
Acadian Landing Site
9/20/73, East of Madawaska
on the St. John River off U.S. 1
St. David Catholic
Church 10/2/73, East of Madawaska
on U.S. 1
Ava Harriet. Maine Place Names and The Peopling of its Towns
C. Lawrence. Native
Names of New England Towns and Villages.